HOW DO I CARE FOR MY CALF JACKET?
Calf jackets, sometimes referred to as calf coats, have been proven to assist young calves tolerate cold stress and improve health and growth during the winter months. They are becoming increasingly common on farms across the UK, Europe and USA.
Long gone are the days when a calf jacket was only used for sick or ill calves. Instead, industry experts are focused on producing technical calf jackets, in order to remain competitive and maximise costs. With a variety of shapes, sizes and designs available it can be confusing to know which calf jacket is best for you. Once you've made your purchase it can be confusing how to best care for your jacket in order to get the best of it, over a long period of time.
At AniMac we’ve been designing and producing coats for animals for three generations. Working with farmers, we've proudly designed and produced a range of calf jackets to suit your individual farming needs. Explore our calf jacket range and their benefits.
At What Temperatures Should You Use Calf Jackets?
You can start to use calf jackets when temperatures drop below 15˚C or 59˚F.
HOW TO GET THE MOST BENEFITS OUT OF YOUR CALF JACKETS
Here are our Top Tips for maintaining longevity and maximising the benefits of your calf jacket.
- Make sure the jacket fits the calf correctly and covers the calf’s body, from neck to tail. See our calf jacket size guide for help.
- Ensure your calves’ coats are completely dry before fitting them with jackets.
Adjust the straps weekly to accommodate for growth.
- Check to ensure no straps are rubbing that could create raw spots on calves’ skin.
- Depending on your type of calf jacket, you may be required to change the jacket should it become wet for any reason.
- Bedding for calves is still important. Be sure calves have clean, dry, deep bedding in which they are able to nest.
- In warm stretches, monitor calves to see if they are sweating under the jackets. If so, remove them during the day, as daytime sweating can cause night time chilling.
- Wash them when necessary as it not only improves the wellbeing of the calf but also greatly increases the life of the jacket. See our full guide on how to wash a calf jacket.